Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's In A Name?

Someone who shall not be given the pleasure of being mentioned by name recently got on me about not posting more often. I promised him some new material tonight so here it goes. Leslie has also been on me to write more but I really don't know what to say, after all, she's the writer. I'm just the supporting husband who says "well done." Hopefully this post will fulfill your need for water cooler conversation. This morning as I dropped off Faith at her mother's morning out someone there referred to me by a name that has become more and more common. It got me thinking about all of the nicknames/descriptions I have gone by or answered to throughout my life. There are many and I'll do my best to list them here. The first nickname I can remember was Little Bull. This also served as my CB Radio "Handle" name too. Pretty simple really, dad was, and still is, Big Bull. It was only natural that I be Little Bull. Others that followed (and I will do my best to list them in order) have been: Sport, Yogi, Belch, Bully, Dana's little brother, that short fat kid with the big glasses, Dana's cool little brother, Little Dave B., Dave Bullingstein, the one that has stuck the longest Dave B. (though is that really a nickname?), and DBully. There have been some good ones and some really bad ones but it appears there is a new one that I just can't shake and it has become my identity. Now, it seems, I am most known as Faith's Daddy. It's really weird. These adults at her church and school all know her but they refuse to either learn or use my name. They simply call me Faith's Daddy. I wonder how they would feel if I stopped calling them by their names and started calling them all Faith's Teacher. "Hey Faith's Teacher, how are you today?" or "Faith's Teacher, I just wanted to let you know I'd be picking her up early today." If I have to sign a school form am I to sign as David Bullington or Faith's Daddy? I guess it's just another part of parenthood that struck me funny today. It's one of the many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many things about being a parent for which I was not prepared. I realized I'm not who I thought I was. And the truth of it all is that it's just fine by me.

sincerely,
Faith's Daddy

No comments: