Saturday, January 17, 2009

Overwhelmed with Gratitude

"The fact that we are continually struggling in our human relationships is not surprising considering what complicated messes we humans can be. But what is surprising and most amazing is that there are in fact those instances when we find ourselves fellowshipping with other human beings in a most "real", "safe" and loving way. Experiencing the blessing of true fellowship "walking together in the light" with other children of God is perhaps the greatest gifts of God to us in this life."

I was reading this on Kerry Hasenbalg's blog the other day and thinking how beautiful the fellowship we've had with our Sunday School friends has been during these past few years and what a blessing they have been to our family. They have supported us with their prayers for so long and been right there with us on our adoption journey. And then today they had to go ahead and completely overwhelm us with their kindness and generosity. We are drowning in love for you and appreciation for all that has been given to us. It is very, very humbling. Our friends presented us with the sweet, sweet video you will see if you scroll down a bit (be sure to scroll all the way down and pause the music player at the bottom before playing the video.) And a VERY GENEROUS contribution to our adoption fund. It made my heart ache in a good way - just too much for it to process I think. We are still reeling a bit. We were totally surprised.

This past week was marked by one of the great joys of this journey - getting closer to seeing our son and watching other families receiving information about their children through our online group of folks adopting through our agency. But it has also been marked by the sorrow of seeing families facing some of the more difficult aspects of this journey as well. Feeling so helpless and so far away from those children and holding such heavy burdens. I started thinking, "I don't know how we're going to do this." This next part of waiting, when we will know our child and yet not be able to hold him or do anything to control the process. It will be a spiritual battle. I consoled myself with the fact that I know God will be there with us, and we get grace when we need it and not before. But I was feeling weak.

And then today, having the strong encouragement of our friends felt absolutely heavensent. The light made clear by this fellowship. Thanks to all of you, our friends. Those who were there today and contributed so mightily and those of you who support us in your prayers and your encouragement always. We can't wait until you meet the boy and the girl you've been praying for and waiting for with us for so long. I am so grateful that all of you are with us in this. It is so much bigger than us.

No comments: