Inside Jokes
Pearl has a sly look. She points at a little boy sitting with his family across the way in the Dairy Queen and says, "I know him!"
"Oh, really, where do you know him from?" I ask.
"He was a baby in China when I was a baby in China!" she says with a grin and a giggle.
This is no reunion. That boy is white with blond hair. We all laugh at Pearl, and she is so pleased with her silly self.
I am glad that Pearl loves to talk about her story and her homeland, even in telling her jokes. I love that she says "My China!" whenever she sees Chinese writing or anything else that represents that country to her.
When we went to China there was a family in our group that included a young girl who had been adopted from China as a baby. She was able to visit several points of interest from her own story while we were there. It was an amazing thing to think about.
Our adoption agency and many other organizations offer guided trips for children who were adopted from China - trips that allow them to discover the culture and history of their original land. These trips are often called "heritage tours."
No comments:
Post a Comment