Good Reads
It is really difficult to put personal thoughts in words for this space. Attempting these 31 posts has given me even greater respect for those who have shared so well on subjects that are dear to me. Here are a few of my favorite blogs that have helped me make sense of our unique family heritage:
http://mymindonpaper.wordpress.com/
Kevin D. Hofmann is a bi-racial man who was adopted by white parents. His blog is a wonderful resource for transracial families. I appreciate that he makes a point of educating adoptive parents on how and how NOT to help our children and how willing he is to share his thoughts on a wide variety of racial issues.
For quick, wise advice start here: 5 Myths and 5 Truths About Race and Adoption
There was a strange time a few months ago when the deep issues surrounding adoption, orphan care, and family preservation were stirred into a sort of controversy and spread around the internet. This is a critical conversation, but so many seemed to willing to generalize about a subject that by nature resists that treatment. I wanted to address this in some way, if only to organize my own thoughts, and then I found this: Why Adoption Isn't Second Best. This post really helped me. Since then I have spent a lot of time reading other posts by Shannan on Flower Patch Farmgirl, and I really appreciate her thoughtful writing on adoption and life.
One of my first favorite blogs was Owlhaven. I love the practical advice that Mary Ostyn gives about running a large household and homeschooling. She has children that were born to her, children from Korea, and children from Ethiopia in her family, and I particularly appreciate the wisdom she shares about parenting teenagers! She has a great section on her blog detailing all of her adoption stories here.
No comments:
Post a Comment