Who Do You Think You Are?
I haven't seen a full episode of the TV show with this name, but I've seen enough to be bothered by it - this title, the suggestion by this program that you find a form of identity through ancestry. Shouldn't it at least be "Who Do You Think They Were?" (I know, not as cute.) I do appreciate genealogy. I am just not sure what importance should be placed on knowledge gained from it. Definitely not enough importance to be the answer of the question of who you really are.
But maybe this is the hypersensitive rant of someone whose reality as a parent is sometimes questioned.
Where are his real parents?
But what is her real name? (yes, oddly that)
I used to think parents who fretted over family tree assignments for their kids who came to their family through adoption at a very young age were over-complicating things. Adoption grafts our kids right into our family tree, right? No problem. Fill in the boxes, done. I would still handle the situation like that for us, but I do have a greater appreciation for the thoughts and feelings that some bring to any representation of family that doesn't tell the whole story. I can understand why some might think it dishonest not to admit that our family tree does have connections that don't fit the typical diagram. Dishonest or disrespectful. Or ungrateful.
How do I clarify this for myself and my children? This generation on our family tree is like the canopy of the rain forest - twisted and tangled together with other families, nations, people groups?
Twisted together, but not really one. Rooted in different places.
Everyone's family history is full of surprises - I guess Who Do You Think You Are shows that? Sometimes it takes generations for mysteries to develop. Sometimes they develop in an instant.
How do I practice good stewardship of our family story? How do I avoid oversimplifying or overemphasizing any one part? Above all I want to continually remind myself and my children of the truth. That the really real, complete story has room for all of this. All the hard and the beautiful. That there is an Author of Everything who is bringing a new people group together, a new kingdom, a new family.
A new heritage for all who will receive it.
No comments:
Post a Comment