Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 5 of Writing on Heritage

Caublinasian

I remember when Tiger Woods made up this word - a hybrid of Caucasian, Black, Indian, and Asian to describe his heritage and there was a national. . .discussion.  I can't recall much about the details of the controversy, but I think it may have been one of those situations where some people saw denial, some people saw confusion, and some people saw no-big-deal-why-are-we-talking-about-this.  I probably fell into the third group at the time.  The conversation didn't resonate with me much.

Today I find this word useful.  I sometimes say I have a Caublinasian family, though the only Indian part of us (that we know of) is just a trace of American Indian that comes from a some-number-of-greats (three, I think) grandmother on my mother's side.

Typically people get their racial identity from their ancestors, but I feel I have received mine in part from my descendants.  A reverse inheritance? I wonder if it is as controversial for me to claim their race as my own as it was for Tiger Woods to want to include more than the world could know about him in his self-identification. My claim might give worse offense, since my inclusion has nothing at all to do with my actual bloodline. Or it might give no offense, because I am not quite as famous.

It was very surprising to me how different the world felt after I had a child of another race.  I always thought I had a good understanding about the issues surrounding racism and prejudice, but that understanding did not run as deep into my heart as it does now.  I did not hurt as I should have before for the major and minor injustices still being perpetrated.  I didn't feel sick over these things like I do. Today.

It shouldn't have taken adoption to give me a tender heart.  It shouldn't have taken watching the news and fear for my own son to wake me up to the danger that so many mother's sons face in the world.  There are a few ways I use the word "we" now. And we have a ways to go.


No comments: