Good Hair
A few years ago we were going somewhere in the car and Davis asked me when his hair would be like Faith's and Pearl's.
Wow. Here it is. The moment when Davis has the sense that he is not alright. That he does not fit in our family. This is sad, but I am so ready for it! I affirm the beauty of his gorgeous curls, brown eyes, brown skin. I talk for a while about how even though we have differences there is more that is the same. I talk.
And Davis listens.
And then he speaks again. "But when am I going have pigtails." And he said a few more things I don't remember that told me that this was not that moment. This was not that conversation.
And that conversation has not come in that way yet, but we have spoken a lot about race. I try to stay ahead of my children's questions in case they are wondering about things for which they don't have words.
But not that far ahead.
There are some books that we have read together that have helped. This one is one that we have.
There are a bunch of other good books and resources for kids about adoption listed here.
No comments:
Post a Comment